Adore Beauty Pty Ltd

Friday 18 July 2014

Natural skincare- Oat Bomb and Oat Milk Toner

My little boy Ollie has eczema it's horrendous for him he's a very itchy boy we are currently on a on a journey to relieve his symptoms in a natural way.  The harsh steroid creams I have been using for the past four years have been shelved and with the help of a herbalist we're now on a natural skincare journey with him.  Thanks to our lovely herbalist Clare at Napiers who introduced me to the power of the humble oat!  I started off just using this on Ollie but I realised how lovely it made my skin feel and now it's a fixture in my own skincare routine.  So much so I've stopped using any other day moisturiser (apart from my eye cream) and I no longer have the flakey skin problem I did have with the transition from winter to spring.

Follow the steps below to create your own natural Oat Bomb and Oat milk toner.


I'm about to go all Blue Peter...

Here's what you need:

1. Oats 
2. A muslin cloth (or you could use a pair of tights)
3. String
4. Something to decant into (for the toner)
5. Coconut oil (optional)

Wrap up a couple of handfuls of oats in a muslin cloth and tie firmly with string.  This is your oat bomb.  Run your bath and allow the water to run through the muslin and oats so the water is turned into a natural oatmilk.  For additional moistursing and lovely scent add a spoonful of coconut oil to your warm bath.  Lie back and wallow in it!  

For the toner: Squeeze some additional water out of the oat bomb into a bowl and later decant into a dropper bottle or recycled pump bottle. Keep this in the fridge and give it a good shake before each use.  You can also use the soaked oat bomb as an exfoliator all over your body in the bath. 



I have been using my decanted oat milk daily.  You can use it as a cleanser itself but most of all I like keeping my container in the fridge and using it as a toner on my skin.  It feels cool and has a slight tightening effect which makes my skin look and feel toned but not in an uncomfortable way.   I still follow my usual evening skincare routine since starting this natural approach I honestly have not used a moisturiser in the mornings and have really noticed a radiance in my skin.  So for as long as it works for me (as I am a believer of changing up your skincare routine) I would highly recommend adding a bag of oats to your shopping list.  For Ollie we are still on his journey some days are better than others but I know oats will always be useful for calming itching & irritated skin the anti-inflammatory, moisturising & cleansing properties of oats have astounded me I would recommend you try for yourself! 
Ax