Adore Beauty Pty Ltd

Tuesday 9 September 2014

Taking the leap & sharing the love!

Today I'm not going to spend my two hours of freedom whilst Miss Poppy is at playgroup doing what I was planning on doing and I'm taking the opportunity to write something a little different.  It's all about work and life and trying to keep myself on the tightrope which keeps the balance between the two.




I've been self employed for about 5 years now and I would say I' would consider myself reasonably successful.  I have a job that I really enjoy, that suits my family life, I don't have to spend money on childcare, I'm either working on days my husband is home or my lovely and helpful family members help me out.  The majority of what I do can fit in around the kids but it doesn't necessarily mean it's easy.  Like everyone trying to do the juggling act it's sometimes hard to stay upright and not tangled up on the safety nets.  Often after we have children or our circumstances change a little bit we have to adapt to the changes and make decisions about what it is we want.   You don't have to head to an office every day to be a dedicated worker, you don't have to be 9 to 5 in a retail store to be a worker, you don't have to be in a salon or kitchen or garage or hospital every day to be hard at work.  There's other options out there if you want them or if you need them and you are prepared to take a leap of faith.  Don't get me wrong I have massive respect for those of you going out there every day and doing it all I think you are amazing.  My friends and I have all taken lots of different routes when it comes to worklife balance.  No one route is the right one it's just what works for you.

I know a few other mums who have done the same as me and gone ahead and taken the leap into being self employed as they have chosen to pour their heart and soul into something that they really want to do.  I want to say 'high five' to them and 'you go girl' but then I realise I'd probably sound like an idiot so I instead I try to show a bit of support in the small ways I can...I talk about them.  In fact I could (and will be) talking about them more.  I'm going to natter about them and chat about them and I'm going to be the biggest gossip ever and I hope you'll join in.

What's the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning? (if you have a child over the age of 3 I am hoping you get at least 5 minutes of blissful peace when the daylight first makes an appearance) for me its a quick flick through of my social media favourites so usual suspects, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and one of my faves Pinterest.  I have surrounded myself on these communities with like minded peeps that have decided to start up themselves and put every ounce of effort and free time into their businesses and their resulting livelihoods.

Here's a few things I will be doing to help out and support the little guys more:

1. I'm going to SHARE more.  Ok we all love to be liked but if you hit SHARE on Facebook you are spreading the word to soooo many more people.  I'm not saying don't 'like' my stuff, please do, but if you read something you like or see something you think is cute hit the share button.  You've basically given that person (whom i'm calling the little guy) access to all of your friends on facebook  to help them spread their message plus given them a virtual high five.  When someone shares my stuff I think "Oh I must have done a good job there insert happy face here" and gives me a little boost.

2. I'm going to chat more.  I'm getting involved.  I'm going to comment and tell someone when I think "wow that's fab" or "oh I fancy that" I'm going to tag my friends when I see something I think they'll like.  I might even ask a question here or there. I'm going to pop a review on a page if I enjoyed my visit or if the person I enlisted did a really good job.  I'll post a pic of my fab new nails or nice clean car or cute handmade card I've bought.  I'm going to say thanks (in public) so everyone else can see too.

3. I'm going to tweet more.  Ok I'm just getting my head round twitter now (slow I know) but when I see something that I take something from I'm going to hit favourite and i'm going to retweet.  I love reading blogs and I read loads of them.  Next time I read a post I love I'm going to say wow that was a good read!  If I see in little inspirational ditty on pinterest i'm going to repin it maybe someone else will take away a bit of inspiration from it too.

4. I'm going to make friends.  I'm going to find  that mums' business page that I was talking to at playgroup and I'm going to let my friends know about it (here I go with the sharing again)  I'm going to track down my dentist's daughters blog he was telling me about and I'm going to add her on bloglovin and mention it to my friend if I think she'll enjoy a read.  I'm going to let my brides know when I come across a fab new business that has just started up and I think their work is great. I'm going to follow a board here and there when I think it's adding some value to my life and i think others might benefit.

So anyway I'm going to be doing a lot of talking and I encourage you to do so too.  Social media is no longer just about watching funny videos, catching up on friends pictures, talking to old pals it's actually where lots of us little guys are trying to run our businesses and get our message out there! I'm in another situation change now where I find myself moving on from one successful business and starting from scratch all over again and it's highlighting just how hard I had to work the first time.  I think it takes guts to put yourself out there and go for it, do something new, so if you're are in the position were you are considering taking the leap and you are able to do so I say go for it!  And for those of you who are already doing so (even if I sound like an idiot) 'high five' and 'you go girl' and most of all, for us little guys and everyone else in between, please don't be shy and share the love!




Inspirational images provided by:

Mindful Wishes offers a range of jewellery aimed to help you stay inspired and focused on your goals and helping to you turn your dreams into your reality.